Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tug of War

Remember that old childhood game where two teams would line up, each side holding an end of the rope? The teams would pull with all their might for the little red flag tied on the rope to cross their side. Eventually after much struggle, pain, and screaming, one side would fall to the ground in defeat. The little flag crossed to the winner's side - where there was much triumph and happiness.

I never liked that game very much.

And now I feel like I'm playing it once again; this time, however, I'm playing "adult-style." Worst of all, I'm not even on either of the teams. I'm the little red flag in the middle, being pulled from side to side.
I feel bad for that little flag because it doesn't get a choice; it has no say in which side it ends up on.
I, on the other hand, WILL have a say in the matter.
Let me say, it sure is nice to have so many people care about me...but I really, really dislike when they get too involved.  Because that's when the tug of war begins. Each side is pulling me to do what they want or think is best for me.

Well. I can handle myself, thank you very much. I have the capabilities to figure out what I want. And right now, I want to stay right in the middle and have each side let go of me and stop playing the game.
Unfortunately, people are very competitive and enjoy winning, so for now this hope for a truce is almost nonexistent. But a girl can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment