Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Deep Thoughts and Random Musings

Love

Ponder it for a second. What is Love?


Does anyone truly know it's definition?



Over the entire course of human existence, people have attempted to capture it's power through words, music, or art. 
Think of Shakespeare. 
Of Jane Austen.  
Of Taylor Swift.


They all are have their own definitions and examples of love. But is one more "right" than the others? 


It's hard to say. It's true that "Love" comes in a variety of shapes and sizes. 
For some love comes in the form of a romantic interest - a significant other. They live for a fairytale where they can create their very own *happily ever after*. Others yearn to be utterly head over heels. But this is just plain old infatuation, not even close to real love. For Love is much more intricate than either of these. True, unfailing love is not possible for human beings to even begin to comprehend. Oh we try. We think we know what it is but in reality, we don't. We send valentines every year with the simple words "I love you," but what does that phrase even MEAN these days? Does it mean we will give up everything for that person, even our own fragile lives? 
For this is the epitome of true love. 


Perfect love. 


The LOVE of a God so powerful none can fathom his majesty. He showed us this kind of love giving up his own life for the sake of those so much less than him. *Romans 5:8*

Therefore. If I was to love someone, I would want to at least attempt to show this type of love; not a childish, immature misconception of the word. I would be committed to trusting that person with all that I am. I would feel an intense connection because they would have to know me to my core...or at least as deep as I am willing to let someone understand me. But doing this would mean willingly choosing to open myself to the hurt and pain and disappointment that comes with loving flawed human beings. Do I have this kind of courage?



Do you?


Will I place my trust in someone who can and most likely will let me down? Unlike my beautiful Savior who I can rely on in the darkest places when all have abandoned me.
Yes. I believe I can take that step of faith into the unknown. It will be a journey, an adventure, with trouble around every corner. But through determination, hard work and compromise, I believe that it will be worth the effort- tenfold.


Sometimes I wonder what the reason is for why I shudder and even cringe at the word "love". 

Here's my best answer: I'm afraid of love
And why shouldn't I be!? Give me a good reason why I should just throw my hands in the air and carelessly give my heart to others. People who aren't careful, who can easily forget about me as if I'm just a blip on the radar. Why should I build myself up to be let down AGAIN. 
This is frightening. Who really wants to go through this kind of pain?


Yet here is the clincher. As terrifying as love can be, I do not want to be a loveless, cold hearted person. 

No at all. If you think this you are sorely mistaken. 
For my heart is bursting with love. I love everyone. I love the broken; the beautiful; the sick; the poor; the bruised; the ones who don't like me; the ones who hurt themselves; and the ones who are lost in a world of confusion. A world that defines love as roses and hearts and chocolate. Or a relationship built on lust and image, where being 'hot' makes you lovable.
No wonder so many believe the lie that no one loves them. But I understand their reasoning. And I can say this because I have felt those exact feelings. Yet things changed when God opened my eyes. I saw love in places I had never imagined. 
In the sun shining through the clouds on a rainy day. 
In a smile to a stranger across the street. 
In the hug of a friend.

Love is real. 



Love is powerful.


Without it, we are lifeless. 


With it, we are taking a great risk like plunging off a cliff.


What I have written here is the thoughts of my mind put together on a page. Some of it may be viewed as cynical, but I disagree. All I am doing is deeply analyzing the many definitions of the term "love" and determining what I myself believe about it. (It's just a way of organizing my many thoughts).
Therefore.
I won't deny - I sometimes have my doubts about love in all it's complexities, but in the end I believe in it, because it is the source of all life in this dead and dismal world.





No comments:

Post a Comment