Friday, January 20, 2012

You are Loved.

Hello friend. 
I hope life is treating you well. 
I am writing tonight about a special cause I just learned about this week that has absolutely taken over my mind. The ministry is called "Treasures" and it's based out of LA. This is their mission: 

"Treasures is a unique, faith-based outreach and support group for women in the sex industry.

Our mission is to empower women in the discovery of their value and purpose by providing mentorship, spiritual encouragement and resources." 
This group helps women who are caught up in different ways, whether it be the porn industry, sex trafficking, prostitution, stripping, exotic dancing, escorting, or those who have been molested or are in dysfunctional, abusive relationships. Statistics are that "89% of women in the sex industry said they wanted to escape, but had no other means for survival." This means that these girls feel that they have no way to leave their lives. They are too poor, broken, and scared to live life on their own. Not only this, but most enter into this around the ages of 12-14 after being sexually abused. "73% of them have been raped 5 or more times." Many of them have high rates of substance abuse making it even more difficult to leave the industry. 
Now add to all of this depression, anxiety, fear, loneliness, and deep shame. 
Doesn't this just break your heart in half? 
I hate it when people make rash judgments, like "those girls chose to be sluts and like what they do." While this may be true for some, MOST of these girls are NOT happy with themselves. But they are imprisoned both physically and mentally and need a way out. 
There is only one who can be their escape. Jesus
And that is what this ministry is all about. Most of women heading it up were once in the sex industry as well, and what they do is make gift bags and go to clubs and conventions, handing out these bags to the girls, telling them there is hope and love and freedom. 
It is fantastic!!! and it gives me such joy to know that there are people out there fighting for these girls. One day I'm hoping and praying that I can help out with something like this. I don't know how or when, but I want to *do* something. But until then, I ...We... can keep praying for these girls to be delivered from their bondage. 
Love. 


Here is the website: www.iamatreasure.com

No comments:

Post a Comment